Single Day: Foundation
We'll be exploring what it means to lead in an organisation where change is happening wherever it's needed, at the pace it's needed, and engaging the people that are needed – the people whose energy, insights, and innovations you'll need.
On day 1 (Foundation) we look at how to develop and pursue strategy in the language of outcomes, introducing some key conversational and organisational patterns and tools. You'll be developing skills you can bring not only to set-piece strategy events such as reviews and workshops but use in everyday settings too.
Trainer - Mike Burrows
Mike works at the intersection of Lean-Agile, strategy, and organisation development in the pursuit of the ‘wholehearted’ organisation. He is the author of Agendashift: Outcome-oriented change and continuous transformation (2nd edition 2021), Right to Left: the digital leader’s guide to Lean and Agile (2019, audiobook 2020), and the classic Kanban from the Inside (2014). He is recognised for his pioneering work in Lean, Agile, and Kanban and in recent years his advocacy for participatory and outcome-oriented approaches to change, transformation, and strategy. Prior to his consulting career, Mike was global development manager and Executive Director at a top tier investment bank, CTO for an energy risk management startup, and later served as interim delivery manager for two UK government digital ‘exemplar’ services.
This package is for 1 day: Foundation. All options include:
|Total Days||Package Options||Days from Overall Package|
Day 1 & 2
Day 2 & 3
Day 1,2 & 3
Day 1 Leading with Outcomes: Foundation
Developed for leaders at all levels – senior sponsor, manager, team lead, consultant, or coach – Leading with Outcomes: Foundation is your ideal introduction to the language of outcomes, its philosophy, its skills, and its role in your organisation's transformation.
1. Leading in a transforming organisation – introducing outcome-oriented change
Understanding the role of leadership in the transforming organisation and learning a powerful pattern for conversations in strategy
- Leading in a wholehearted organisation – what it means to lead where engagement, integration, and initiative are celebrated
- Leading with Outcomes – the concept and the curriculum
- Introducing the IdOO ("I do") pattern – Ideal, Obstacles, Outcomes
2. Meaningfulness, significance, and direction?– two kinds of strategy and a virtuous circle
Applying the IdOO ("I do") pattern – Ideal, Obstacles, Outcomes – in a strategy exercise for a scope of your choosing:
- Establishing context – Who and what are we dealing with? Being a keeper of context, on the lookout for failures of context
- Ideal: Envisioning a compelling future – reaching the right customers, meeting their strategic needs, achieving results in the way to which we aspire
- Obstacles: Identifying what's in the way of what we want; Outside-in and inside-out strategy; Framing obstacles for a productive conversation
- Outcomes: Looking beyond those obstacles to something better – signs of emergence, indicators of progress, measures of success, and on towards goals & aspirations
- Organise the strategy with Objectives and Key Results (OKR) – Where do we want to get to? How will we pace ourselves to see that we're getting there?
3. Moving into action – ideas, experiments, feedback, and learning
From developing strategy to pursuing it, patterns for outcome-oriented innovation. We begin right to left with two levels of done, then the ideation process Meaning, Measure, Method:
- Right to left, done and really done – working backwards from key moments of impact (someone's need met) and learning (all of it accounted for), making the most of every feedback opportunity
- Meaning – thoughtfully re-engaging with our Agenda for Change, focusing on what's important
- Measure – how we'll know that we're winning
- Method – new ideas and how we'll test them