The Okaloa TeamFlow simulation is the first in a series of simulation based learning sessions using Okaloa Flowlab. By learning through experience, participants will learn through experience and understand what working in a “flow” system really feels like. There are key elements to this including the linkages between flow, collaboration and learning which we start to explore. Deeper exploration of these principles can be found in the more Advanced Okaloa Flowlab workshops.
Note: this is included in the Kanban System Design course.
At the conclusion of this course, it is expected that attendees will understand the basics of flow and how you can start to evolve towards a flow system. This is done on a small scale in a “team” level environment, but the basic principles can be applied across broader product development or programs of work. The learning highlights include:
- The different between optimisation for utilisation and flow
- The impact of Work In Process (WiP) on your system of work
- The interaction between WiP, throughput and lead time
- How to limit WiP in your system of work
- The difference between estimating effort and understanding duration for work