How Kanban can help Human Resource Teams
Key problems faced by HR Teams
HR departments are facing a number of problems relating to how they manage their work. These problems include:
- Lots of competing demands – from recruitment, through to performance management and benefits, there are so many different types of demands that need to be balanced.
- Overburdening – Faced with all of these demands, your team can quickly become overwhelmed if these aren’t managed
- Policies – many organisations have a raft of policies that you need to navigate which can make the process overly complicated and slow.
- Dependencies – there are so many people you need to coordinate with – finance, legal, recruiting managers, employees and candidates which tend to delay work from being completed
- For managers, maintaining staff levels of your own HR team and avoiding high staff churn
- Predictability is also problematic due to all of the things above – making it difficult to keep commitments
COVID has exacerbated many of these things – with increasing demand for recruitment due to “the great resignation” and demand for more flexible work arrangements the need for an efficient and effective HR system has never been greater.
How Kanban can help
Kanban uses visual management create greater transparency in the work so that we can “see” all that invisible hard work that HR teams go through on a daily basis. There are special practices we can use to make sure that privacy is maintained where needed.
We use cadences to ensure we’re taking on the right amount and the right type of work to balance competing demands. They also assist to ensure that work flows back out to your company stakeholders to meet their expectations. Kanban can help you create a more predictable system, even in complex environments with different departmental needs. This ensures that you can keep the commitments to your stakeholders.
How to get started
You can learn about Kanban and how to start it with your HR team. Our training has been tailored to the needs of these specific practices for human resources. If there are just one or two of you, you can participate in public training or if you have a group, please contact us below for a private training session.
- Team Kanban Practitioner – get started with the basics
- Kanban System Design – learn how to create your own kanban system for your team / group
We also offer consulting to support you in a number of ways:
- helping to get you started with the process
- checking in along the way to make sure you keep focused on the right things and deal with any issues as they arise
- examine how it can fit with existing tooling or introduce new tooling to enable better practices and behaviours
- coaching for HR managers on how they can successfully lead changes to reach the desired outcomes